|COLONEL JAMES P. ROSS|
Col. James P. Ross is the Commander, 50th Space Wing, Air Force Space Command, Schriever Air Force Base, Colo. As Commander, he is responsible for more than 5,600 military, Department of Defense civilians and contractor personnel serving at 14 operating locations worldwide, in support of more than 150 communications, navigation and surveillance satellites with their associated systems valued at more than $66 billion.
Prior to assuming command, Colonel Ross was the Vice Commander, 45th Space Wing, Patrick Air Force Base, Fla. He was responsible for the processing and launching of U.S. government and commercial satellites from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. Colonel Ross served as the Launch Decision Authority with final approval for launches on the Eastern Range, a 15-million-square-mile area which supports an average of 20 launches per year aboard various launch vehicles. He led more than 2,000 professionals, assigned to operating locations in Florida, Ascension and Antigua and an additional 90 deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan.
Colonel Ross earned his Bachelor's degree in physics from Angelo State University and was commissioned by Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps Detachment 847 in 1988. He earned a Master of Engineering in aerospace from the University of Colorado in 1993. He is a graduate of Squadron Officer School, Air Command and Staff College, National War College, and the French Test Pilot School.
Colonel Ross has served in a variety of leadership positions within the space operations, flight test, engineering, and acquisition disciplines, and has served in key positions at Air Staff and Joint Staff levels. He has commanded at the detachment, squadron, and group levels.
1988 Bachelor of Science, physics, Angelo State University, San Angelo, Texas
1993 Master of Engineering, aerospace sciences, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colo.
1993 Squadron Officer's School, Maxwell AFB, Montgomery, Ala.
1997 Ecole du Personnel Navigant D'Essais et de Reception (French Test Pilot School), Istres, France
2002 Master in Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Master of Science in National Security Strategy, National War College, Ft. Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2010 Senior Development Course, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, S.C.
2012 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Darden Business School, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
1. March 1989 - June 1989, student, undergraduate space training, Lowry Air Force Base, Colo.
2. June 1989 - August 1989, student, NATO III Planner/Analyst Course, 1013th Combat Crew Training Squadron, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
3. August 1989 - May 1991, Satellite Operations Planner and Satellite Operations Crew Commander Evaluator, 3rd Satellite Control Squadron, Schriever Air Force Base, Colo.
4. May 1991 - April 1993, Chief UHF F/O Evaluations and Chief, UHF F/O Launch Readiness, 3rd Space Operations Squadron, Schriever Air Force Base, Colo.
5. April 1993 - December 1993, Wing Manager, Military Satellite Communication Systems, 50th Operations Support Squadron, Schriever Air Force Base, Colo.
6. December 1993 - July 1995, Project Engineer, Sure Safe Active Imaging Program and Director, Optical Analysis, Phillips Laboratory, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M.
7. July 1995 - February 1996, student, French Basic Course, Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center, Presidio of Monterey, Calif.
8. July 1996 - August 1997, student, EPNER (French Test Pilot School), Istres, France
9. August 1997 - January 1999, Chief, C-17 Operations Engineering and Chief, Operations Engineering Branch, 418th Test Flight Test Squadron, Edwards Air Force Base, Calif.
10. January 1999 - May 2000, Chief, Test Integration Branch, 412th Test Wing, Edwards Air Force Base, Calif.
11. May 2000 - August 2001, Air Logistics Center Test Representative, 339th Flight Test Squadron, Robins Air Force Base, Ga.
12. August 2001 - June 2002, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
13. June 2002 - June 2003, Heritage Launch Systems and ICBM Demonstration/Validation Program Element Monitor, Directorate of Space Acquisition, Under Secretary of the Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
14. June 2003 - October 2003, Executive Officer, Directorate of Space Acquisition, Under Secretary of the Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
15. October 2003 - June 2005, Commander, Detachment 1, 45th Mission Support Group, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla.
16. June 2005 - June 2006, Commander, 5th Space Launch Squadron, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla.
17. June 2006 - June 2007, student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
18. June 2007 - May 2009, Chief, Global Acquisitions, then Chief, Program Support Division, Deputy Director for Global Operations, then Executive Assistant to the Director for Operations, J-3, The Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.
19. May 2009 - January 2011, Commander, 45th Operations Group, Patrick Air Force Base, Fla.
20. January 2011 - August 2011, Vice Commander, 45th Space Wing, Patrick Air Force Base, Fla.
21. August 2011 - present, Commander, 50th Space Wing, Schriever Air Force Base, Colo.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with five oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with service star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Long
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant May 13, 1988
First Lieutenant Oct. 16,1990
Captain Oct. 16, 1992
Major March 1, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 2004
Colonel Sept. 1, 2008
(Current as of March 2013)