The 50th Mission Support Group is a component of the 50th Space Wing, Schriever Air Force Base, Colorado. The group was activated on January 30, 1992.
The group's mission is to provide security, civil engineering, fire protection, environmental management, manpower, personnel, logistics, contracting, base services, and housing support for Schriever Air Force Base. The group is comprised of over 700 personnel who manage an annual budget of $35 million, administer $2 billion in contracts, and oversees 4,172 acres and 78 facilities valued at $1.15 billion. The 50th MSG supports the 50th Space Wing, 22 base agencies, 16 Geographically Separated Units, and 8,700 personnel operating more than 175 Department of Defense satellites and a global network of Command, Control, Computers, and Communications equipment and facilities worth $67 billion. Additionally the group plans, develops, and coordinates base growth, mutual aid, and encroachment with higher headquarters, city, county, state, and federal officials as well as organizes, trains, and equips over 1,600 Airmen for worldwide deployments in support of combatant commander requirements.
The group is comprised of four squadrons and one flight: 50th Civil Engineer Squadron, 50th Contracting Squadron, 50th Force Support Squadron, 50th Security Forces Squadron, and 50th Logistics Readiness Flight.
The 50th Mission Support Group was activated on May 16, 1949 as the 50th Air Base Group, a Reserve unit at Otis Air Force Base, Massachusetts. The group supported the air defense operations of the 50th Fighter-Interceptor Wing, a predecessor of the 50th Space Wing. The group was inactivated on June 2, 1951, along with the wing.
The 50th Air Base Group returned to active duty on January 1, 1953 at Clovis (later Cannon) AFB, New Mexico, as part of the 50th Fighter-Bomber Wing. When the wing departed for Hahn Air Base, West Germany, later that year, the 50th ABG accompanied them. This marked the first mass flight of an entire tactical wing from the U.S. to Continental Europe.
In July 1956, the group and wing relocated to Toul-Rosieres AB, France, where they stayed until September 1959. At which time, the 50th FBW returned to Hahn AB, this would remain the home of both the group and the wing for the next 32 years. As part of an Air Force-wide change, the group became the 50th Combat Support Group in 1962, a name it would retain for the rest of its tenure at Hahn AB.
When the Cold War ended, Hahn AB closed. The 50th Tactical Fighter Wing, along with the 50th CSG were inactivated on September 30, 1991. While at Hahn, the group earned five Air Force Outstanding Unit Awards for their part in deterring communist aggression in Europe.
In 1992, the 50th TFW was reactivated at Falcon AFB, Colorado, as the 50th Space Wing to preserve the distinguished unit's history. They also activated the former 50th Combat Support Group as the 50th Support Group on January 30, 1992. From 1992 to the present, the 50th SG, renamed the 50th Mission Support Group in October 2002, serves as the focal point for security, civil engineering, contracting, logistics, base services, and support at Schriever Air Force Base.
(Current as of July 2016)