The 50th Force Support Squadron is a component of the 50th Mission Support Group, 50th Space Wing, Schriever Air Force Base, Colo., and was activated June 20, 2008.
The 50th Force Support Squadron is responsible for installation personnel support activities to include military and civilian personnel offices, manpower functions, education and training functions, family services as well as dining, fitness and child care facilities and recreational and leisure time activities for more than 6,500 military members and their families, civilians and contractors on a daily basis. The 50 FSS is comprised of the Manpower and Personnel Flight, Sustainment Services Flight, Airman and Family Services Flight and the Force Development Flight. It provides oversight for 12 sites worldwide that operate $11 billion in command and control facilities for surveillance, navigation, weather and communications satellites.
The 50 FSS manages and controls the administration of all base-wide nonappropriated fund instrumentalities with a budget of $1.5 million and specific FSS appropriated fund budget of $3.5 million. The 50 FSS is directly responsible for the consolidated NAFI with the combined NAF resources of Schriever AFB and one geographically separated unit at New Boston AFS, N.H.
The 50th Mission Support Squadron was redesignated as the 50th Force Support Squadron on June 20, 2008, merging the 50th Services Division with the 50th Mission Support Squadron.
From 1985 to 1999, Services was a flight under the Mission Support Squadron. Then in September 2000, the Services Flight stood up as the 50th Services Division, separating from the 50th Mission Support Squadron.
The 50 MSS was originally constituted as Air Base Squadron, 49th Air Base Group Nov. 20, 1940, and activated at March Field (later March AFB), Calif., Jan. 15, 1941. Within two days of activation, the squadron was redesignated the 50th Air Base Squadron and then 50th Base Headquarters and Air Base Squadron June 13, 1942. After serving for three years as the installations' supporting squadron, the 50th disbanded on March 31, 1944.
Reconstituted and redesignated the 50 MSS May 9, 1989, the unit activated at Hahn Air Base, Germany, June 1, 1989, and was assigned to the 50th Combat Support Group (later Mission Support Group), 50th Tactical Fighter Wing (later Space Wing). The 50 MSS inactivated with its parent units Sept. 30, 1991, and activated at Falcon Air Force Base (later Schriever AFB) Jan. 30, 1992.
As Falcon AFS grew to become Schriever AFB in the 1990s and into the 21st century, 50 MSS has played a key role in providing essential support and services to base personnel. The squadron has earned the World War II American Theater Service Streamer and five Air Force Outstanding Unit Awards.
(Current as of Jul 2016)